5G will provide services across a wide swath of disruptive technologies. Improvements in performance over LTE will be essential to the future use of many of these emerging application. Today more than half of executives at large mobile network operators believe there are no any compelling near- term business cases for 5G. 5G promises a step change in network performance for those operators that are ready to invest in it. 4G network do not enable the range of services that the future requires. 5G will be faster and more flexible. It’s change the way of Social Media.
American President Donald J. Trump tweet:
“I want 5G, and even 6G, technology in the United States as soon as possible. It is far more powerful,faster, and smarter than the current standard. American companies must step up their efforts, or get left behind. There is no reason that we should be lagging behind on …..”
- 1G –> 1991—> Analog network with voice, AMPS,TACS
- 2G –>1991 –> Analog to digital transition, introduced data services such as text messaging and more secure, GSM, EDGE, data up to 3Mbp/s
- 3G –> 2001 —> More spectrum allowed basic access to more than just voice and text services such as e-mail, UMTS/HSPA, data up to 2Mbp/s
- 2010 —> Merged cellular and IP technologies, LTE, data up to 50M p/s
- 5G —> 2020—> A fundamental shift in the way we construct and manage mobile network infrastructure. Enables mass connectivity of devices and applications, 1000 time faster than 4G network, Amazing Connectivity, Fibre like experience
Building the Foundation for 5G
- 5G is all about high-band spectrum, which Sprint has commercially deployed
- 2.5 GHZ spectrum is considered the low-band spectrum for 5G
- Street furniture such as poles not towers
- Signal from both side of wall
- Network Function Virtualization
- Software Defined Networking
5G Network Slicing
5G network slicing enables service poviders to build virtual end-to-end neworks tailored to application requirements.
- Mobil broad band ——> Communation, Entertainment, Internet
- Machine to machine –> Retail, Shipping, Manufacturimg
- Reliable low latency –>Automative, Medical, Infrastructure
- Others ———————-> Other Applications
Some Real Points about 5G
Mission Critical Control
- Strong Security : Health, Government, Financial trusted
- Ultra high reliability : 10^5 per 1 millisecond
- Ultra – low latency : As low as 1 millisecond
- Extreme user mobility : Up to 500km/h
Enhanced Mobile Broadband
- Deep Awareness : Discovery and optimization
- Extreme Data Rates : Multi-Gbps peak rates; 100+ Mbps user experienced rates
- Extreme Capacity : 10 Tbps per Km^2
Massive Internet of Things
- Ultra-high density : 1 million nodes per Km^2
- Ultra-low complexity : 10s of bits per second
- Ulra-low energy : 10+ years of battery life
- Deep Coverage : To reach challenging locations
Enabling Smart Industry
- Cutting the cord : Wireless industrial Ethernet enables reconfigurable factories
- Enabling new use cases: Such as operators using augmented reality glasses
- Leveraging big data analytics : Edge analytics of massive real time data collection increases productivity
Private 5G NR Network Enables the next Industrial revolution
- URLLC – ultra reliable, low latency
- Time sensitive networking
Large Cellilar Ecosystem
- Global solutions
- Certified inter operability
- Licensed, shared, unlicensed
- Low, mid, mmWave spectrum
Single Network for the Entire Factory
- Multimode network supporting LTE and 5G NR
- Scalable to all connectivity needs
Quick Figure of 5G
- Real Time Performance : Fast response time, low jitter, latency and delay, high availability
- Critical infrastructure : Hugh reliability, priority access, very wide area coverage
- Very high speed broadband : Gigabit data rates, high quality coverage, multi spectrum service
- IoT and M2M : Many more connected devices, deep indoor coverage, signaling efficiency
- Virtualized Infrastructure
5G Technology Cost Impact
An Illustration : Capex Stress from
- Massive cell densifications
- Smaller & Smallest cell connectivity.
- Operators likely Backbone modernization / uplift.
- Core,IT & Platforms more likely to be within spend profile ( on average ).
- Depends on complexity ,e.g., slicing…
An Illustration : Opex Pressure from
- Overall poor economical scalability of small, smaller & smaller cells.
- Open impact will depend on level of fixed -mobile integration & the technology modernization level.
- Dependency of level of automation & degree of zero – touch network state.
The Landscape of 5G
5G will differentiate itself by delivering various improvements
- 10X : Decrease in latency = Delivering latency as low as 1 ms.
- 10X : Connection density = Enabling more efficient signaling for lot connectivity.
- 10X : Experienced throughput = Bringing more uniform , multi-Gbps peak rates.
- 3X : Spectrum efficiency = Achieving even more bits per Hz with advanced antenna technique.
- 100X : Traffic capacity = Driving network hyper-densification with more small cells everywhere.
- 100X : Network efficiency = Optimizing network energy consumption with more efficient processing.
All Flavors of 5G are Developing in Parallel!
All tracks include higher integration and further RF Sip development
5G mm Wave
- mmWave 5G technology – disruptive innovation
- Introduction of mmWave frequencies >24 GHz
- Adoption of new packaging architectures and platforms
- Major design changes and new materials required
5G sub 6 GHz
- Upgrade of 4G technology – incremental innovation
- Will stay at frequencies < 6GHz
- Modification of current RF packaging architectures
- Minimal change in BOM
- Used frequencies < 1GHz
- To address transfer of data generated by many IoT end devices ( mainly sensors )
- Still undefined standards / protocols
- Little to no innovation regarding semiconductor packaging
For more info please visit this blog : What is 5G technology?