The great way to describe social media is to smash it down. The media is the one type of an instrument on communication such as Radio or Newspaper, so the social media would be a social instrument of commutation. The social networking sites are gaining a lot of popularity these days with almost all of the educated youth using one or the other such site. The question regarding the safety, privacy and the legal issues have been cropping up all this time
Think of normal media as a single way where you can listen to a report on television, read a newspaper etc. But you have very limited resources to give your ideas on the topic. On the other site Social Media, which is allows two way street that enables you the facility to communicate too.
Likes vs Life
- 60% say posting that perfect picture has prevented them from enjoying life experiences and sometimes led to bizarre behavior.
- 3 out of 4 admit to bring rude or disconnected from others.
- 14% have risked their own safety.
- 80% have seen a parent under mine their own experience in a child’s life
- 25% have admitted to beint distracted during intimacy
- 90% have seen a tourist miss enjoying the moment
Social Networking by Device
While nearly all social media users which is nearly 97% access social networking sites from their computers, NM Incite, a Nielsen McKinsey company, found that females are more likely than men are more likely than women to access their social content from an internet-enabled TV or gaming console.
Access social networking by gender
|5.||3%||Internet enabled TV||1.5%|
|7.||1%||Handheld Music Player||2%|
10 Big Insights of Social Media Monitoring
- Sentiment : Mostly positive or negative?
- Feedback : Themes? Patterns?
- Questions : How can you answer them/
- Pain points : Can a content or product change fix?
- Links : Who’s referencing you?
- Content : To share, adapt or generate ideas
- Trends: Patterns in chatter and demand
- Advocates : Build your community
- Press : Get to know media members
- Influences : Learn from their success
Social Media and Body Image
The strive to look like women portrayed in media because that is what they believe is considered pretty. This results in young girls developing eating disorders which can cause emotional and physical health problems, and can be potentially fatal.
- Teens who use Facebook more may have psychological disorders, including antisocial behavior, mania and aggressive tendencies.
- Can be distractive. People check Facebook/WhatsApp very frequently.
- The desire to compare: We compare ourselves to others in terms of looks, travelled destinations, shopping sprees, friends and so on.
- Radiation : Phone calls, internet over phone, even idle phone has a lot of radiation around it.
- Eye Problems: Prolonged use of display screens may weaken eye sight.
- Addiction : Internet shopping, online chatting can be addictive.
- Effect on health: Sitting all day in front of laptop/computers may disturb body mentalism.
- Reduction in physical activities
- Kids use computers for activities that go hand-in-hand with our understanding of what constitute a traditional childhood.
- Development is enhanced in an interactive world
- Students using multimedia and telecommunications showed improved attitudes toward reading, social studies and science
What your Teen is Doing on Social Media
It’s undeniable that Social Media has changed the way teenagers experience the world. Your teens are on social media as soon as they get up, all through school and well into night. So the question is, Do you know what are they doing? Do you know their passwords, their usernames and what social media platforms they are using? It’s not just about friending your teen on Facebook anymore. Parents today need to take an active role in their teen’s online life. but not always a good things
Every day, more teen girls than boys text. In the daily Twitter-verse, There are also more girls than boys, when it comes to photo posting, it’s specially a girl thing.
- 79% text daily
- 37% ever twitted
- 77% love posting photos
- 66% text daily
- 25% ever twitted
- 45% love posting photos
Social Safety Tips
- Sexting is a Crime : Sending or saving nude messages of yourself or others may result in criminal charges
- Don’t Overshare : Posting personal information online puts you and your family at risk
- Think Before you Post : Anything you post online can be seen by anyone. Deleting it from your phone does not guarantee that it is gone forever
- Don’t be a Cyberbully : If you won’t say it in person, why say it online?
- Report It : If you see, hear or experience cyber bullying, inappropriate sexual posts or messages, or any other behavior that makes you feel uncomfortable, immediately tell a parent, teacher or trusted adult.
5 Signs you need a Social Media Break
- You can’t go a full day without checking your social media profiles
- Social media accounts is the first thing you check when you wake up every morning
- You seek validation and worth from how many likes you get an social media and you feel bad if you don’t get any
- You feel left out, discouraged, and envious of people’s lives after you see what they post on social media
- You find yourself missing moments with people because you are too busy trying to capture them for your next status update
Also visit this page : Facebook
This blog is more interesting for you : Security and Privacy Concerns in Social Networking Sites